In today’s Qtorial – our series of lesson & activity ideas from Quaver’s Marvelous World of Music – Web Coordinator Jeremy Ruff is back with tips for using Quaver’s piano creative – QComposer!
Using Edit Functions in Quaver’s QComposer!
Take it away, Jeremy!
Hi gang, and welcome to another Qtorial! Everybody close your eyes, and let me tell you a story…
Imagine that you are using QComposer to make the best song in the entire world. Your verse is very nice. Your chorus is top-quality. And now you want to move on to the second verse, but you realize that you have to enter the whole thing in note-by-note all over again! What a hassle! Isn’t there an easier way?! Well I’m here to tell you, THERE IS!
Let me show you a few tricks to make creating complete songs in QComposer as easy as slicing butter on a warm afternoon.
Using Edit Mode to Copy Notes
First, let’s check: Are you in QComposer? (Remember: it’s in the studio! Click on the Piano!) Good. Now, place a few notes in measures 1 and 2, the beginnings of a really great song! Now let’s say those notes you placed are so good, you want to repeat them in the next measure. Here’s how to do that:
- See the EDIT MODE button at the top of the screen between the Tempo metronome and the Melody Maker panel?
- It’s off right now, so click it to turn it on!
- Notice that some of the screen goes dark when you click it– that’s because you can only interact with the staff in edit mode. Also notice that your cursor has turned into a cross hairs.
- Click and drag around the notes you placed.
- When you’re certain you’ve grabbed them all, release the mouse button.
- Immediately below the staff, you’ll get some options – like Delete, Move, and Copy.
- Press “Copy” and note the instructions that are shown.
- Close that box and put your mouse over the 3rd measure– the whole measure will highlight- and click.
- Like magic, your copied notes appear starting in measure 3!
Using Edit Mode to Move or Delete Notes
But oh no, now you have a new brilliant musical idea that just has to go into measure 3 – you’ll have to move the measures you just copied to a new measure! It’s a shame we can’t do that . . . Oh wait, we can!
- You’re still in edit mode, right? If not, click the Edit button to turn it back on!
- Click and drag around the notes in measures 3 and 4.
- This time, you’ll want to select “Move” from the pop-up menu.
- Now, click in measure 4.
- Boom Chicka Boom! Your notes have been moved, making way for your genius idea.
And if you’re ever feeling less-than-genius, don’t worry, no one needs to know about it. If you are in edit mode, select some notes and press “delete” and you’ll have a fresh canvas to try again.
When you’re done editing, don’t forget to turn off edit mode by clicking the edit mode button a second time. Remember, you can’t place notes while you’re in edit mode!