Let Disco Week continue with today’s Qtorial – our weekly series of lesson & activity ideas from Quaver’s Marvelous World of Music!
Qtorial 9: Creating a Disco Beat in QBackBeat
It’s time to put on your disco pants, find your John Travolta wig, run to the center of the dance floor and GET DOWN!!
That’s right folks the Disco venue has been released and it’s all looking pretty cool! If you didn’t see yesterday’s introduction to the place – check it out! And don’t forget the venue is open for FREE through next Monday at midnight!
Here are a few things you might not know about Disco:
- Disco is a mixture of Latin, funk, and soul music.
- The first known disco in the US was called “The Loft.”
- The word Discotheque means ‘record library’ in French.
It’s a fun and simple project to make a classic Disco beat in QBackBeat. See what we built here at Quaver HQ below:
Notice the bass drum part is very simple and the hi-hat part (that’s the funny cymbal that looks like a metal hamburger with a stick through it) alternates between open and closed.
Okay, now here’s the challenge . . .
- Go to the nearest Goodwill store
- Buy a white 1970’s suit
- Find an old basketball and cover it with mirrored glass
- Suspend it from the ceiling of your classroom
- Turn down the lights
- Teach your students a few basic Disco moves and dance round the room to “Disco Penguin” and the other great tracks in the Disco Venue at QuaverMusic.com.
- P.S. You may want to close the curtains!!
How much more fun is it possible to have?
We really want you all to have a chance to take the Disco Metro to Funkytown, so we’re hosting a ONE WEEK FREE PREVIEW of the Disco Venue!
From now until Monday, November 28th at midnight, you can visit Quaver’s Disco Venue for free! Click the Metro to the right of Quaver’s Shop on the QuaverMusic.com homepage – and check it out!
Let us know what you think of the Disco Venue in the comments below – and stay tuned tomorrow as we go behind-the-scenes with John Fountain, one of Quaver’s best songwriters and the creator of two of the great disco tunes you hear in the venue!